Re: Horn-Size Relative to Player-Size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 21, 2002 at 13:03:14:

In Reply to: Horn-Size Relative to Player-Size posted by Intrigued... on August 21, 2002 at 10:25:07:

As a small-er (in height) female tuba player, I am definitely used to having this very discussion often. I believe that it is not size, but it is how effectively one can use the air he/she takes in, and it is even before that a matter of getting that air into the body to begin with. My horn is relatively large bored for a 4/4 (HB21) and the more I work on breathing, the "easier" it feels to fill it up. Playing alone in large ensembles helps this for me... but i would not feel comfortable on a bigger horn at this point in any situation. I may not "wail" as loudly as the guys next to me, but I know several tubists that could be classified as "smaller" that have no issues at all it seems.
Conversely, I have had experiences with "larger" players who should technically have the lung capacity, but who have not made use of it. I believe it is all the pocedure, and that any so-called "handicap" of having small lung capacity can be overcome with patience and effort.
I just had this discussion with my teacher this morning, so I thought I would give my two cents.

Follow Ups: