Re: Sanders/B&S stenciling, photo proof

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 21, 2002 at 12:57:44:

In Reply to: Sanders/B&S stenciling, photo proof posted by Klaus on August 21, 2002 at 05:19:57:

Aside from the operation of the 5th valve by the right thumb, the illustrated instrument is a B&S instrument as I know it from my German 1985 B&S catalogue and from the one owned by my section mate Ove. I have helped him unmount and reassemble his tuba for cleaning and lubrication, so I am pretty well aware about this model. The illustrated sample obviously has the optional sharp 2 tone slide mounted rather than the more common long whole step slide.

As for what these illustrations prove:

Only that the Sanders marketing at one specific point of time up until 1990 found it economically opportune to promote the B&S top model F tuba under its own logo. But still wanted to back the reputation of that instrument by letting it keep the identifications marks, engraving and enamel logo, that it carried out of the factory.

I might even have a suspicion about the background for that.

In the very early 1990-ties Copenhagen was "flooded" with these instruments, that could be had a then very competitive price of DKr 25.000. I do not remember the exchange rate level then, but the $ equivalent would have been a bit over 3.000. All conservatory students and those aspiring to be one got one.

During all of its existence in the GDR era B&S was not much more than a currency generator for a government, that despite its alleged pride of being the technology superstar within the communist sphere was in a permanent cashstrap to get the badly needed western technology.

This evaluation does not detract from the quality of B&S instruments. On the contrary, I would never have had the chance to own high quality B&S/Hoyer/Scherzer/Wolfram instruments, had they not been dumped on the Danish market.

After the wallfall GDR for almost a year up to the reunification in the fall of 1990 had a transitional government, that had a very hard job keeping the country afloat. It would not surprise me, that whatever stock in the B&S factory was thrown into a sort of "firesale". I did not take advantage of the offerings myself in the early 90-ties. But I could not blame the Sanders organisation for doing so.

Joe Sellmansberger of this board is not known to be very leftist. Yet according to his own reports his 6 valve B&S F tuba is the tuba, that has stayed with him for the longest period.

Klaus

Follow Ups: