Re: King 2341 mouthpiece selection/odd shank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on August 20, 2002 at 13:03:09:

In Reply to: King 2341 mouthpiece selection/odd shank posted by Kenneth Sloan on August 20, 2002 at 09:48:10:

I use a Dillon R1 with mine. The one I had before buying the King has a "standard" American shank, and it sits all the way in the receiver. Dillons had the same mouthpiece with a larger shank that fit the receiver well, but I noticed no difference in the way it played, so I stuck with the one I had. I didn't spend much time with the two mouthpieces and plan to spend a little more time comparing them to see if it is worth getting the larger shank.

I believe the R1 is slightly larger than the Conn Helleberg, but I never really got any specs on it, I just tried it out one day and really liked it. I used to play on a Conn 2 on my sousaphone and 22J, but decided that the rim was too wide and that they were a little too narrow for me. For some reason I liked the UMI 2 that came with the horn less than the Conn 2 that I had from the mid 70s. I don't know why that is, since they are supposed to be essentially the same.

Dillons carries many mouthpieces with shanks that fit the King receiver. I agree with the concept of starting with some "standard" mouthpieces, like a Helleberg or Bach 18. You can try the Dillon version of the Helleberg since they have more options on shank size. I think that a Doug Elliott mouthpiece is also a good choice, especially since you can get a shank that fits this receiver the way you want.

Follow Ups: