OK, I went for the ..............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jenny on August 20, 2002 at 06:38:34:

Hi Guys,

Went to get the tuba on Friday and after all your advice, I still went for the Yamaha! All joking aside it is great and as Klaus suggested being female and using a Denis Wick 4Al it works great. I can't believe the sound I can get out the Yamaha compared to the Besson 982, my conduct can now hear me! If the Imperial had the 19 inch bell I would have gone for it but it only had a 15 inch bell and I would have had to get the leadpipe changed. Which would have made it cost nearly as much as a second-hand sovereign.

The Yamaha is a 631 model and I think its really old as the serial number is 100081. Does anyone know where to find out about Yamaha serial numbers? I am very happy with my only grip are the valves. It has these massive valve caps that are too big for my little fingers and just to be awkward they have a different threads than the Bessons, new Yamaha. I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get Yamaha spares in the US? or anywhere else? an e-mail address would be good. Not many dealers in the UK know alot about the older instruments.

Thanks for any help,
Jenny

Follow Ups: