Re: What IS this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 18, 2002 at 19:58:16:

In Reply to: What IS this? posted by Jim C. on August 18, 2002 at 13:03:32:

It obviously is American, but from its proportions it is closer to a continental European tradition. One of those, that I admittedly do not like, as it expresses a compromise far from my ideals.

I have seen these instruments coming out of German and Czech factories. It has just about the proportions of an oval rotary Tenorhorn. But when these generic rotor makers attempt to make piston instruments, then they were not very lucky. Playing features did not add up to the intended result.

I also have seen such instruments coming out of Dutch and Belgian factories with not much better results, as their original tradition either dictated smaller bell with that bore, or larger bore with that bell.

None of these makers were exceptionally strong in making pistons, but that was not the main problem.

In 1978 during the European Championships in Royal Albert Hall of London, where I participated on baritone with the now defunct Copenhagen Brass Band, there were fairly large exhibits from any maker of any standing.

Willson presented their baritone, that attempted to enter the Brit band scene. It had the same proportions that you quote. I didn't like it despite its undoubtedly technical efficiency in the piston area. But the valve bore and the bell volume were disproportionate. It never caught any interest in England and Willson changed the design.

I have, and love, instruments, that are even more disproportionate in their bore to bell relations. But they are French horns.

Klaus (maybe not kind, but fairly honest towards an instrument, that never the term of being a euphonium)

Follow Ups: