Re: Re: Re: Conn vs. King sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on August 15, 2002 at 08:56:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Conn vs. King sousaphones posted by Lee Stofer on August 15, 2002 at 07:09:09:

Lee
Thanks for your note. Sounds like your big King was a 1270, not a 1250B - did you notice that it was larger bore? The local high school band has a 1270, with the more Conn type wrap, and that wrap can be seen in the catalog drawings. There is no drawing in my catalogs for the 1250B (which I found only in the 1938 catalog), but it sounds like it's the same as the 1250A through the valves, and larger thereafter. That would suggest the main tuning slide arrangement was the same as on the 1250A.

When I played a King 1250, I was thinner and did not have a problem with the wrap, but I do prefer the Conn design ergonomically.

I agree with your comment that playing the big Conns in tune requires plenty of air. When I was younger and an athlete (serious tennis year round, 6-8 hours a day in the summer, running 3-5 miles a day and weight training), I had no trouble playing a 20K and a 24K sousaphone or a 2XJ tuba in tune (with the right number of bits). I used a Conn 2 for both. In both college and high school, we tuned the horns with a Stroboconn. I always had more trouble (but not that much) playing my Alexander BBb in tune than I ever did with a big Conn.

Follow Ups: