Re: mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on August 14, 2002 at 22:48:02:

In Reply to: mouthpieces posted by Shane Ackbar on August 14, 2002 at 22:02:41:

Shane,

While I think you way overstate your case here, I also think that there's somethig to what you're saying. I'll be honest, I hop around m.p.'s quite a bit, and I only really benefit from doing that when I haven't been practicing a lot. In other words, I stick in a small m.p. for high stuff, and then a big m.p. for low and loud stuff, and a "studio" m.p. for real technical stuff, etc. Worse yet, I hate it when you try-out some horn, and you don't like the results after trying it with four or five different m.p.'s of various sizes and shapes, and then the person trying to sell it to you says, "oh, well, it's m.p. sensitive, and you're simply not using the right m.p. on it". Maybe they're right, but I don't buy that. If you don't like a horn after trying it with your own arsenal of m.p.'s, then you're probably not going to like it even after plugging in the elusive "Mr. right" mouthpiece. So in a sense, I agree with you. While it's interesting to trade observations about various m.p.'s, I also think it's dangerous to say that such-and-such m.p. is the elusive "right" m.p. for any particular horn. I still argue that the differences in horns is far greater than the differences in m.p.'s. The horns that I grew up with, old Bessons and old Miraphones (of various pitches), "blow" regardless of what m.p. you stick in them.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: