Re: Re: A couple of BBb tubas and a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Morris Kainuma on August 12, 2002 at 19:43:24:

In Reply to: Re: A couple of BBb tubas and a CC posted by John Szkutko on August 12, 2002 at 19:12:12:

Greetings, John. I would have walked out with the Fafner. However, my decision would have been made based on my (potential) use for the tuba, not necessarily its playability. The Miraphone has (IMHO) a better and easier low register. Also, the 5-valve configuration works great in that register. The Fafner puts out more sound, and it's a _great_ sound, and the low register responds well, but not as easily and evenly as the Miraphone. The Fafner would require more slide pulling in the low register due to the 4-valve setup.

The overriding reason for my preference for the Fafner - the sound. More and bigger sound than the Mirafone, also a more colorful tone. I didn't try any other mouthpieces aside from the Laskey 30G and the Parke/Ofenloch. It would be great to try some other mouthpieces.

I have not played the Willson 3100.

By the way, FWIW, it seems that the 1291 plays with a more open tone than the rotary valved 191.

Please feel free to e-mail me with more questions. Of course, posting here would be fine as well.

Follow Ups: