Re: Re: Re: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on August 12, 2002 at 15:26:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bflat trumpet to BBflat Tuba? posted by Pat the gum chewer? on August 12, 2002 at 14:22:23:

You, and anyone else who plays by fingerings, have my sympathy. I really think it is the hard way. Back when I was giving music lessons, I continued to be astonished by the systems people would come up with to avoid actually learning to read music! The more talented and intelligent they were, the more likely they were to use a system, too. Even on piano I had a very bright kid who used the system of "this is two notes higher than the note I just played, so it must be __. And if it has a sharp on it I have to go up to the next black key. If it has a flat on it, I have to go down to the next black key." It worked most of the time, until I caught him at it and made him learn to read the clef.
You know, it's never too late for an old dog. It just takes a little longer. Once you know the clef, you won't have to do mental gymnastics to sight read, and sight reading will become fun instead of a chore.
MA

Follow Ups: