Re: tuba to bass trombone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marty Neilan on August 11, 2002 at 20:21:22:

In Reply to: tuba to bass trombone posted by Ricky L. on August 11, 2002 at 17:08:21:

I have tried the cut down (shortened AND turned down) tuba mouthpiece thing and it worked OK with the RIGHT tuba mouthpiece (shallow C cup) and the tuning slide pushed all the way in, but a genuine bass trombone mouthpiece works better if you are serious about the instrument. I have been using the Yamaha Doug Yeo since early this year and love it, but I do need to spend at least one hour a day practicing bass trombone to maintain my seperate embouchure. It seems to pay off, as I am now playing and sounding like a real bass trombone player instead of a tuba player trying to play bass trombone. Taking regular trombone lessons with the principal from the local symphony and impromptu lessons from a bass bone playing friend have made a world of a difference as well, as a bass trombone IS NOT a tuba. In case you are interested, check above on the BBS as I am selling a custom bass trombone mouthpiece I used years ago that may fit you or be a good 'secondary' mouthpiece.

Follow Ups: