Re: Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MG on August 10, 2002 at 23:23:51:

In Reply to: Why? posted by Curious on August 10, 2002 at 00:36:06:

No one puts out an album to be artistic AND make money. However, there's no reason NOT to put one out for artistic purposes as long as it's not going to cost you a ridiculous amount. If you are able to both compose and play an instrument at a sufficiently high level, this is indeed the way to go, is it not? I've already had way more performances of my compositions as a result of performance world connections than any other mechanism.

"Are the ones who might throw it out there afraid of the ones who might tear it down?"

Our original poster's comment was more accurate than he/she could have imagined judging by some of the negative responses it has ellicited. It seems as if a few people who chimed in consider this a fruitless pursuit. From where I sit (which is nowhere special in relation to this topic), it would appear that this is the only way to go if you have something to say that's not marketable (which is the case with, well, everything we play). It would be foolish to hold back for fear of what might happen.

So, Curious, if you want to team up on something down the road, my e-mail address is at the top of the page. For those who don't like the audacity of a tubist recording their own material, well, I guess I would kindly ask that you refrain from writing a review when the thing comes out.

I'm not stupid, just optimistic.

Follow Ups: