Repair apprenticeships/theory programs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Norberg on August 07, 2002 at 09:45:26:

As many of you know, I've enrolled in Red Wing next year for their band instrument repair program, but I'm starting to look for programs for the year after. I don't want to have any opportunities pass me by because I didn't think of this early enough, so I'm going to start researching now. After Red Wing I want to work in a shop where I can learn the finer points of tuba rebuilding, valve replating and perhaps valve building, maybe even tuba design and manufacture if I can manage. But here's the hard part: I've recently gotten engaged to a girl who wants to study music theory in graduate school. So I'm looking to work somewhere where I can be close to a University with a great theory program. Overseas is a possibility, but I'd just like to get some ideas so we can start looking. The Fulbright application deadline is coming up quickly, and I'm sure some other deadlines are too. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott

PS Grad school in performance is still a possibility for me, I'm just trying to open as many doors as possible right now.

Follow Ups: