Re: "Wurlitzer Band Instrument Co.?"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on August 01, 2002 at 11:22:25:

In Reply to: "Wurlitzer Band Instrument Co.?" posted by H.H. on August 01, 2002 at 09:30:56:

There were a number of musical instrument makers named Wurlitzer, both in Europe and the US. The best known is Rudolph Wurlitzer of Chicago, who you probably know for their organs. They were primarily musical instrument dealers until about 1912. They sold most types of musical instruments with the Wurlitzer name until this time, but they were "stencil" horns. That is they were made by a variety of different manufacturers for Wurlitzer with the Wurlitzer name. Around 1912 they began manufacturing musical instruments and sold a wide variety of their own make of instruments in addition to continuing to sell stencil instruments. Anthony James Getzen worked for them for a while, before moving to Holton and then starting his own business.

I have seen just about every type of brass instrument, including tubas, with the Wurlitzer name, but I don't know which, if any, of these they actually manufactured and which were made by someone else for them. For example, I understand that both Buescher and Martin made saxophones for Wurlitzer. I have heard that some of their brass instruments were also Bueschers and Conns.

Follow Ups: