Re: Band Excerpt Tuba Book

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 01, 2002 at 08:46:24:

In Reply to: Band Excerpt Tuba Book posted by Steve Shoop on August 01, 2002 at 06:03:02:

Because of copywright laws, a book like this will probably never get published. That is very unfortunate, because most of the really good excertps lie in band music. I know the orchestra stuff is great, but a lot of it doesn't hold a candle to the really tough newer band music. Especially stuff like Claude T. Smith (?) writes. I remember playing a piece of his that was something like 8 measures of sraight sixteenth notes coming chromatically, diatonicaly, in thirds, every which way, starting on somthing like an A in the staff a mm 160. That was tougher than the Fountains of Rome lick any day of the week. These copywright laws also keep stuff from new orchestral composers getting into excerpt books. My own personal opinion is to make a copy (I KNOW!) of the peice and use for your own practice. It would be proper to by the part only and keep it for your files, but some of this stuff is very hard to get a hold of. Otherwise if someone wants to pay for the copywrights to a lot of peices and put this book together and then charge about $250 a copy it is going to be a very difficult thing to come by.

Matt G

Follow Ups: