Re: Re: TUBA/ITEA/ITEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jill Venter on September 04, 2001 at 08:42:42:

In Reply to: Re: TUBA/ITEA/ITEC posted by Tim L. on September 02, 2001 at 17:55:22:

As a female and a euphonium player, I certainly think the switch to ITEA was an improvement. The euphonium and female musicians have been discriminated against long enough in the music world. Why resist a change that is positive for the organization and isn't hurting you in the least? As for the voting results, think about it-- how many euphers are in the organization compared to tuba players? How many women as opposed to men? Any vote of that nature is bound to be in favor of the male tuba players because of the sheer number differences. I am sure that the executive board of ITEA did not make this decision rashly, nor were they trying to make anyone angry. They obviously were concerned about making the organization's name more accurately reflect its members.

Secondly, if you have a problem, you should address the ITEA executive committee. How are they supposed to know what the members of the organization think if they are never directly approached? Posting on a BBS does give you a chance to express your opinions, but usually not in a way that will lead to any sort of change.

Instead of using your energy listing the wrongs of the association, why not think of ways to make it better? That seems to me to be a more constructive use of time, and will result in an even better organization to represent low brass musicians worldwide.

Follow Ups: