Re: Re: setting your tuba down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by saktoons on August 31, 2001 at 14:22:11:

In Reply to: Re: setting your tuba down posted by Art on August 28, 2001 at 21:51:03:

I have seen tubas damaged by having them placed on their bells in haste, but I have never seen a tuba damaged when placed down gently. (Although, I will admit that the bell is usually not under the center of gravity of the tuba. This means that it will have a proclivity to tip to the side. And no, the fact that a synonym to "proclivity" is "bent" should have no bearing on your feelings about this post!)

I agree with Art, but only partially. If I am playing ANYWHERE but on a carpeted surface, I will use a large clean towel, folded in thirds, upon which to set my tuba. The folded towel allows a little "give" which makes the tuba a little more stable. And, if I have the room behind me on the stage, floor, whatever, I will bring my handy-dandy Amati tuba stand to hold the tuba safetly and securely. (Unfortunately, they seldom give the tuba player enough room to set his instrument down anywhere but his lap.)

Follow Ups: