Re: new 2341's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on August 31, 2001 at 11:23:27:

In Reply to: new 2341's posted by Tom Mason on August 31, 2001 at 10:51:05:

Hi Tom, I can't really answer your question, but I have a gig bag question/observation of my own.

I just had a student bring in an older 2341 to a lesson today with a reunion blues gig bag. (The bag was new.) It was a beautiful bag and looked like it would provide nice protection to the horn. I have a RB bag for my Boosey and I like it alot. But as I was putting the 2341 back in the bag I noticed that the only way it fit in correctly had the valves pointing into the back side of the case. In other words, when the horn was in the case and you set it on the ground with the valves pointing up, the case was actually upside down. The back pack straps were on top rather than the storage pouch. This means when you put the case on your back the valves stick right into your left hip! Now I guess they get depressed when that happens, which might help protect them; but I would still be cautious of the valves getting knocked out of alignment or something. I would think that when you put the horn/case on your back you would want the valves to be facing backward away from your body.

Perhaps if anyone else reading this post who owns a tuba with the valves around front and a gig bag can tell us how the horn fits in the bag.

As I said I have an RB bag, but my tuba has upright valves and it is not a problem. Also I do like the RB bag. The RB company stands by their products. A few years ago when my previous bag pulled apart at the seam, they were very apologetic and replaced the bag with a new one for $50. I thought this was a very fair deal since the old bag was about 7 or 8 years old.

I am sure there would be a RB bag to fit the new 2341 but I would want to check out the way the horn fits in the bag first.

ken "sorry to answer you question with a question" k

Follow Ups: