Re: Who was your mentor?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by *lucky* on August 30, 2001 at 09:34:17:

In Reply to: Who was your mentor? posted by Steve Dedman on August 29, 2001 at 22:35:25:

I'm still young, so I'm sure in the future this will be added to many times, but anyway, here goes...

I would say firstly Harvey Phillips. I have not had the opportunity to study privately with him, but was lucky enough to play in an ensemble under his leadership at Mendez Brass Institute. He is an incredible force in the tuba world. I just remember sitting in his masterclass this past summer and listening to him tell stories about tuba, and how he helped the instrument and people so much through use of it. I waited around almost a half hour to talk to him personally afterwards, and he was kind enough to tell me the story behind Elegy for the Whale, which was one of my jury pieces this last quarter. Listening to Dr. Phillips tell those stories was incredible. I literally just about started to cry in that aforementioned masterclass when he made a statement along the lines of "it doesn't matter who you are, you can always offer something to the tuba world because each of us has our own special contribution to make." That made me realize a lot of things!

Musically, I will make a quick mention of my former brass band directors Paul Droste and Les Susi in Columbus, Ohio. Their rehearsals and teachings gave me so many ideas on playing, practicing, and just what music in general is about. This was so important because I was really young and needed that guidance in the right direction to shape me as a musician.

I have many more mentors, and one of the other more important ones at the moment is my teacher Jason Smith at OU. He has been so patient with my progress, which recently I feel has taken off for the first time. He is a terrific musician, and a really good person, and I could do worse than to turn out like he is some day. I was ready to throw in the towel this summer, and something he said got me right back on track and on fire for tuba like never before. He is always supportive and encouraging. My attitude has probably been most affected by his teachings and ideas. He is a role model to me, and definitely an important mentor. My goal is to not let him or any of the others who invest their time and teaching abilities in me down. I just want to be the best I can be and make these people proud.

There are many more I could name, but the list would go on forever. Many of these are in my own "generation", my peers and friends, as well as those younger than myself, that I hope will be colleagues someday. These are the people that motivate me every morning when I go into the practice room. They are an excellent group of musicians, and I feel the desire to make it to their level and find a place to fit in there. The level of tuba playing is skyrocketing these days, and I want to be a part of it. I realize this is life! (:

Follow Ups: