Re: Re: Re: German F theories

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 29, 2001 at 22:08:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: German F theories posted by Pete on August 29, 2001 at 21:08:01:

That's precisely what I think may be changing here in the US. Granted, good instruction about how to be a good orchestral and ensemble player is available here. But more and more, it seems like students are only interested in the solo repertoire and getting their hands on a bass tuba to have at it. Don't get me wrong, the right bass tuba can be a wonderful thing. But I continue to have this absurd image of hundreds of unemployed tuba players who can play the daylights out of any solo but couldn't play a chorale with the trombone section in a symphonic work to save their life.

I think the smart student has a working knowledge of the solo repertoire but also knows where his bread is buttered. They don't call it the cash range for nothing. Anybody who makes the argument that if you can master the solos, you can master the orchestral stuff because it is so easy in comparison is fooling themselves. I've heard truly brilliant solo players (actually make my jaw drop in awe) who I wouldn't care to listen to twice in an orchestra. That's where I draw the line. As an ensemble player myself, I demand my students master the skills that a good ensemble player must have. Those are the skills I teach primarily because if I don't, my students will be unemployed. Or they'll have to go somewhere else to find the skills necessary to get a job.

To me, it is the age old argument: Do you do what you really like to do or what you really need to do?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: