Re: Re: setting your tuba down

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 29, 2001 at 16:33:36:

In Reply to: Re: setting your tuba down posted by Tom Mason on August 29, 2001 at 16:16:11:

Tom, I respect your experience and opinions tremendously. But how did you get those four points out of the responses to this thread?

You heard from many of us who have as much experience as you that when set down gently, tuba bells will not become deformed even after many years. I routinely place my York Master, all 30 pounds of it, on the bell, and so have its previous owners. It's 40 years old and no creases so far. And you also heard warnings about laying a tuba on its back, which is just as risky, and exposes the equally vulnerable back side to damage. When I lay my big tuba on its back, it rests on the fourth-valve tuning slide. Ouch! And laying on their back they are more stable from tipping, perhaps, but also further below the sight line and easier to step on, with even greater risk of serious injury.

There were several posts that suggested the only safe place is inside its hard case. Were I in your shoes, that's where I'd demand they be placed when not in use. Then they really are protected from instrumentalists who lose control over their eyes in the tuba area, and from negligent students who slam them to the floor, and who can't be trusted to stand them gently on their bells in the back corner of the band room, leaning against the wall.

Rick "who thinks 'there is no other way' directly contradicts most of the posts in this thread" Denney

Follow Ups: