Re: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on August 28, 2001 at 12:36:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yamaha YFB822 posted by Ben M. on August 28, 2001 at 11:54:10:

As a musician first and a tubist second this is what I have to say.
The YFB-822 sounds almost identical to a Willson F (good Yamaha to good Willson). A bad Willson will sound dead. On the other hand a bad yamaha will sound bad, and I have played Yamaha's with a bad Eb, D, Db, C and B natural both in the 621 model and the 822 model. I have played B&S's with those notes "intact" and they have a sound that is almost unsurpassed for a "bass" tuba sound. I have also played a Cerveny F that has those notes just as good as the best Yamaha wether it be a 621 style or a 822 style, and it has a color which many Yamaha's lack. The Yamaha is not a bad horn, but I believe there are better options out there. My main argument against many of the Yamaha's is that they don't stand up as well in an orchestra in terms of sound output in the money range as a typical run of the mill German-made rotary valved F does. However, for solo literature and small ensemble work, the Yamaha will do fine. It would be interesting to hear Tony Clement's take on the Gronitz F vs. the Yamaha as he has used both professionaly I believe. Be careful about both defending the Yamaha by attacking "tubists" by making such a strong closing. That horn may be best for you, but a real piece of poop for someone else. I personally think there are better horns out there, but you won't be wasting your money if you can pick up a good Yamaha F whether it be a 621 series or a 822 series.

Matt G

Follow Ups: