Re: Mirafone 180/MW 182

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andrew P. Welborn on August 27, 2001 at 21:31:53:

In Reply to: Mirafone 180/MW 182 posted by wondering on August 27, 2001 at 13:36:03:

Hello!
I was at Dillon's in New Jersey just about a week ago and was trying out F tubas and i Tried everything they had.. all the small F tubas : yamaha 621 ... Meinl Weston 182.. a Custom MARTIN F.. . and also most of the other big F's too
Here is my opinion on these!
The yamaha:at first i really liked the horn.. it is very playable.. has a fairly good sound and a quick response... but then i tried the other horns and kinda left this one in the dust... it seems to lack something and i cant put my finger on what ..
the meinl weston: OH!!!.. i loved this horn at first TOOt
very beautiful sound.. surprisingly LARGE sounding ... fast quiet valves.. quick response.. it sounded Really mellow.. not dark ... not bright . mellow!... very centered. direct.... very flexible....A REALLY GOOD HORN>.... goood intonation too
THEN!!!.. the MARTIN F.. now... this is a real gem! its unlaquered.. 4 pistons plus rotary...17" bell!... this horn was very dark sounding which i like!...quick valves... everything was good! . it was made in 1922 LOL its awesome.. it projected more than the others and just suited me better.. ANYWAY.. thats what i purchased hehhehe
The mirafone!.. i liked the mirafone TOO... its a bigger horn .. more suited to orchestra lit and such.... but it played beautifully!...
One real stand out in the BIG F TUBAS was the Meinl Weston 45slp!
AWESOME HORN!!!.. very very agile!. beautiful sound.. great horn..
WEll to answer your question ...
It would be my very strong opinion that the meinl Weston would be a Great solo horn.. if it wasnt for the martin f then i would have bought this.. and still.....i tested horns for more than 3 hours... and tried these back to back.. the meinl beat every horn there except mine... again...these are only opinions.. and you should go test these for yourself.AND MATT WALTERS at dillons is an absolute genius and pleasure to do business with..THANK YOU MATT!!!
also the meinl has a real punch in the low register that was lacking in all the others
the yamaha was good too.. but not as good i didnt think
Well off i go to go practice
thanks to whoever gets anything out of my 16 year old ramblings
Good day.. and good luck
Andrew

Follow Ups: