Re: Does weight matter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by vegetarian carrot muncher on August 27, 2001 at 07:36:00:

In Reply to: Does weight matter? posted by Will on August 26, 2001 at 22:40:47:

I've been an athlete most of my life, but when I hit college, some medical problems caused weight issues for me. Until very recently, I;ve been unable to battle this because my body would just fight me right back. As a side result of this medical complication I was also plagued with depression-like symptoms, negative self image, etc. My playing became pitiful, because my practice became pitiful, and as a performance major, I nearly crashed and burned a few times.
Recently I've returned to my high school "training" plan so to speak, and alternate running 3 miles in the morning with a mile and weight training the next day. I make the time to do it, often practicing in between.
After improving my health, I notice a betterment in my playing. I attribute this to my attitude and self-worth more than my overall physical size, but nonetheless I think it is a direct result. I am not afraid to breathe anymore, for fear that I might "expand too much". I've learned that I will always be muscular as a tuba player, but with a small body, at least I don't have the image problems I used to. It's getting better. Also, I truly believe my work outs help my breathing, and I often consciously do a modified version of "power breathing" while running (but only for short times!)
As far as size impairing playing, as another mentioned, look at some of the greatest players of our time. We are a fast food society, unfortunately, I think, and talent is talent. I'm not sure I wouldn't put on weight if it helped me to play like those guys can!

Follow Ups: