Re: Does weight matter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on August 27, 2001 at 06:38:40:

In Reply to: Does weight matter? posted by Will on August 26, 2001 at 22:40:47:

What a fascinating question. I am 5'10" tall and have played tuba, as an adult, from 179 lbs to 322 lbs. I currently weigh about 260. If I am seated and the fat rolls (sorry for the image, folks) in to my abdominal cavity, my diaphragm won't have room to expand and I will have trouble sustaining long tones. This is obviously more of a problem at 322# than at 179# and can be lessened by posture and loose clothing. I also wrestled collegiately, played baseball and some Semi-pro football. I was very lean at 208-212# when wrestling and had no problems with catching breath. I play the other sports at a max weight of 235# (more weight slowed me down too much) and had no problems breathing, then, either. But, no matter what I weighed, there was no appreciable effect on my playing if I was standing. So, it ain't the weight on my body; it's the position of the excess, in my experience.

However, the largest impediment to my development as a player was the competitive attitude I carried in to the music world from the athletic world. It was not until I learned to make music a more cooperative activity than a competitive one that I could play worth wanting to have around. Testosterone ought to reside in the parts of the body designed for that and playing in groups should surplant the Gonzo edge you think you will have. At 260, I am not heavier than Bell Bell, much lighter than Harvey Phillips and no heavier than other famous and great tubists. It ain't necessarily the weight so much as it may be you feel competitive when trimmer. This has to be managed or it will be as destructive as it will be beneficial.

Follow Ups: