Re: Willson 2975 euph?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric J. on August 24, 2001 at 10:09:38:

In Reply to: Willson 2975 euph? posted by Matt G on August 23, 2001 at 16:45:52:

I was lucky enough to try this Willson earlier this spring at DEG. At the time I made the
appointment with Ed Stevens all I had was a Yamaha 321S. I've been playing one since I was a music major in college in the late 70's. I wanted to make the switch to a compensated horn and thought the 2975 would be the perfect fit. The inline valve thing was what I was use to. Between the time I talked to Ed to let him know that I was intrested in that model and they got some in I found a deal on a 2900 on eBay that I couldn't pass up so I bought it. So I was able to play both horns side by side at DEG and loved them both. It has taken a while to get use to the 3+1 combo on the 2900, but now that I have I like it a lot. Everything that you have heard about the 2975 is true. It is a very free blowing horn with a great open sound. While the sound is not bigger than a normal big euphonium it did seem more like a small tuba. Maybe that was a personal thought because of the way I was holding the horn. I didn't have a problem with the thumb ring or the reach of the little pinky on the fourth valve. And this was something I was looking for because of past comments made by people talking about this horn. Bottom line is that I would have purchased the 2975 if I had the money at the time. If I win the PowerBall this weekend - we'll all have one.

Follow Ups: