Re: Re: Re: Tuba Stand

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 21, 2001 at 11:13:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba Stand posted by Al on August 21, 2001 at 09:58:47:

If floor space is in short supply and if the tuba is transported in a bag, which is fully reliable, when it comes to the strenght of its handles and their attach points, then it might be possible in a secure way to mount a heavy duty peg on the wall. So that the tuba could be hung, that is stored, well out of harms way. It should be possible to find a spot out of the reach of opening doors and windows.

A spot, sufficiently elevated, above the bedplace, not the fireplace, might be relevant. But such a placement could bee too much of a stretch. Neither hernias nor displaced disks are attractive alternatives to a dented tuba.

Should the tuba be without a bag, my suggestion might still apply. With a few modifications:

To secure as well the roundness of the tubing as the health of the general structure of the tuba, through some weight distribution, I would advice the use of two strong pegs.

The obvious way to mount the necessary loops/nooses might be to look for the carriage rings intended for a marching harnesses. I am not too sure about that, as the solderings might not stand a such continuos exposure to stress.

Once more I might point to one of my "poor man’s" solutions:

My euph is a heavy one, so I got a baritone sax bra type harness for lengthy standed concerts.

To mount the hook on the instrument, which has no carriage rings, I took a suffient length of cloth (actually one of my trombone cleaning rags) and circled it in 8’s aroung the tuning slide receiver and the stay connecting it to the 2nd branch. A repairman friend considered this a brilliant solution, as he hated to scar an instrument for the sake of the mounting a carriage ring.

It should be possible to find such stable mounting points, whether you want the tuba hung bell up or bottom up. My suggestion would be to hang the tuba horizontally with the bell side down.

To avoid bumping damages a rug, possibly with a foam underlay, could be mounted below the pegs.

This idea of course is free for use by all of you. However a nomination for the Nobel prize for interior decoration would be welcome. A nomination my home most certainly would not earn me.

Klaus

Follow Ups: