Re: Practicing at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on August 21, 2001 at 10:01:27:

In Reply to: Practicing at School posted by Jared on August 20, 2001 at 18:57:51:

This will sound like a farm-boy mentality, but here it goes:

I grew up on a farm. Needless to say, the social life didn't exist in the same manner that the city folks enjoyed in the 70's and 80's. Practice was a way to escape from the pressures of hauling hay, cutting timber, and feeding cows. As I progressed into my sophomore, junior and senior years in high school, I relied more on the practice time to help me find success in life than to actually get better on an instrument.

I quickly involved myself with more instruments as well as more time. It got to where I didn't care about a social life. My study habits improved because I would focus on completion of tasks and good study practices so that I could get more time on my instruments.

The benefits were amazing for a student who did not have the ability or funds to study privately in high school. Scholarships arrived from the major universities in the area, and I was able to pursue my dreams of being a professional musician and teacher.

I had one girl friend in high school. She was also a musician, but from another school. Our time was spent on the weekends after all school work and practice was completed. We did not stay together in college, but her focus was as strong as yours and mine. It made her a much better musician. One would even say a better person overall, because of the ability to commit to a goal and acheive it.

I had the pleasure to study composition from Dr. Jared Spears. One of his favorite sayings is this:

"Time is money."

I believe it. Have some balance in your life, but keep practicing if your goal is music as a profession. If you are escaping from life, find other things to help the escape.

BTW, I don't think you are trying to escape, but others who read this might be.

Follow Ups: