Re: Difference between old & new Yorkbrunner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on August 20, 2001 at 09:48:36:

In Reply to: Difference between old & new Yorkbrunner posted by Yorkbrunner owner on August 19, 2001 at 17:24:09:

From what I understand the first few years of Yorkbrunners, circa 1984, were completely handmade and therefore they seem to have a sweeter response. I have only blown a few notes on 1 from that time period and it was a dream to play on. It's response was instantanious and the projection was effortless. I believe that horn also had the new modifications, which leads to the second issue with the old verses new.

The newer Yorkbrunners, circa 1992 or so I believe, had a redesigned 5th valve and leadpipe which improved some aspects of the horn a good bit. The first batch of Yorkbrunners were copies of one of the CSO Yorks which had a different leadpipe and 5th than the other. Gene Pokorny worked with Hirsbrunner to get the new measurements taken of the other York and the Yorkbrunners were changed. There is a retrofit kit which can be purchased from Hirsbrunner for the older horns. I forget exactly how much it is, but my memory tells me that it was a fair price and worth the dollars. You can have your own repairman changeout the parts.

I think I heard somewhere that the way to tell if your horn has the new valve and leadpipe is to look at the main tuning slide. If it is conical than you have the new setup. If it is mostgly cylindrical than you have the old valve and would probably get a good improvement from the new parts.

sean

Follow Ups: