Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on August 20, 2001 at 00:55:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight posted by Rick Denney on August 19, 2001 at 20:22:31:

I knew we would get into this...

-The intonation of the Chicago Symphony York "stinks" as badly as does its copies. I've played it. It makes a noticably better and easier NOISE, but the intonation still stinks...Still, no gadgets added at this point.

-I respect Charles Dallenbach. I've heard many of his recordings, have heard him live on occation, and nervously but (thank the Lord) competently performed for an audience that included his sister. I don't rank his playing with Mr. Bobo's nor Mr. Pokorny's.

-I remember (in Texas a long time ago, I believe) attending a Floyd Cooley recital in front of hundreds of tubaists when he left his (then main solo axe) Gronitz F at home and played the entire recital on an off-the-display-table MW-F (at that time thought to be a stinker) because he was sick and tired of everyone crediting part of his sound and technique to his instrument. He dispelled those comments in the first 25 seconds of his recital. I DO rank Mr. Cooley's playing with Mr. Bobo's and Mr. Pokorny's.

-I sincerely believe that tubas are large enough that once the mouthpipe, branches, and bell are determined, their sound and their playing characteristics are damn hard to change noticably...not impossible but difficult.

Joe "whoops, I knew I'd opened up a can o' worms" S.

Follow Ups: