Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 19, 2001 at 07:39:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight posted by Rick Denney on August 19, 2001 at 00:21:28:

You know, I wonder. I'm familiar with the theory that an accomplished technician could disassemble a tuba, then reassemble it without any stress on any of the joints as a way to improve the playing characteristics of the horn. I believe at least one facility calls this process Acoustical Mapping. But what is really going on here? Is it the elimination of stress in the various joints or is it a more accurate connection between the parts? I imagine that stress put on a joint that connects two pieces of bendable metal would put the metal out of true if the stress was high enough. Is this stress reduction procedure simply an elimination of badly assembled joints that had created gaps in the overall tube at points where they could seriously effect something like a nodal point? The reason I'm guessing this is that this same stress reduction goal is sited for the cryogenic procedure that some facilities use. I've heard far fewer positive comments regarding cryogenic treatments than I have with the mapping procedure. Could it be that stress reduction isn't the positive change at work here?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: