Re: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 19, 2001 at 00:48:04:

In Reply to: Re: Vibration, damping, and weight posted by ken k on August 17, 2001 at 22:12:14:

No, I'm talking about the really heavy ring for tubas with interchangeable bells. These are the same sorts of connections used to mate bells to sousaphones.

The bell garland (ala Miraphone) might have a stiffening effect, but it seems to me much less likely to make a big difference than a heavy attachment ring. But that's a guess I'm not prepared to defend.

I'm not familiar with the acousticoil, so I won't hazard a guess.

The adjustible gap receiver is a completely different thing. Its objective is to position the tip of the mouthpiece shank favorably to the joint between the receiver and the leadpipe. "Favorably" is defined differently for different players an in different situation, hence the adjustibility. It affects the internal shape of one critical part of the sound path, which can modify turbulence, interference patterns, vibrational nodes, and other characteristics of the sound propagation. It has nothing to do with the resonance or damping of the brass, which is the subject I am exploring here.

Rick "who has tried an AGR and found that it makes a difference noticeable even to him" Denney

Follow Ups: