Re: Why are Tubas SO expensive?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 18, 2001 at 07:19:14:

In Reply to: Why are Tubas SO expensive? posted by confused on August 17, 2001 at 23:08:10:

I love what Lew said. You don't have to pay more than $5800.00 for a tuba! There are choices for less than that. Nobody is going to care what horn you play as long as you sound great on it.

What you're missing is the art of salesmanship. Things are not sold based on what it costs to make them. They are sold based on what the market will pay and what you personally are willing to pay. Most everybody is trying to make a good living at their job, tuba makers and retailers included. I urge you to vote with your dollars and only pay what you believe is fair and reasonable. Only deal with makers and retailers who can meet your price point. For the money you want to spend, there are many choices to consider. Will you find a new Yorkbrunner for $5800.00? No. If you want one of those, you'll have to spend more because that is the going rate (what others are willing to pay) for those tubas. Simple, isn't it?

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: