Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 15, 2001 at 20:30:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Rick Denney on August 15, 2001 at 14:21:43:

My cable connection happens to be cooperative just now:

Basically there is not much disagreement between any of all of the contributors to this threath:

The band director is the director of the band and has full authority of the band’s room, instrumentation, repertory, chair distribution, audition protocol, and whatever matter which might mattes in the every day life of the band.

The band director has been granted this authority by the appropriate superior authority, be it the headmaster, the school board, or whatever governing system a school might be equipped with.

This authority of the band director has been granted him/her on the explicit, or at least the implicit, notion, that he/her has the musical, pedagogical, and administrative talent, education, and overview required to head the band program, that the school wants to be persued.

But no authority can survive by mere grants by a superior authority. Any true band authority can only be founded on an adequate combination of talent and education in the fields outlined in the paragraph above.

In politics authorities are up on the block at the end of their terms. One can not question the voice of the public vote as long as no corruption of the ballot has been involved. This off-off-sub-thread would open up for some florid comments if this was what I invited to. Which it is not!

In business shareholders, a community of which I am no member, will accept no mistreatment of their volumes, pools, investments, portofeuilles, stocks, or whatever these to me unknown entities might be called. Any president or CEO acting insufficiently by lack of talent or even by just being conservative will be met with one central wording, which might be packaged in more or less diplomatic and lucrative veils, but will still have no more than 12 letters and a punctuation: GET OUT OF HERE!

In an apparently minor matter as ones personal offsprings, in the form kids of any age, somebodies happen to advocate that they should take, what is on the plate! Just try to think this thought through to its final consequences!

We might be talking open defiance in this debate. As presented by the bandmaster in question, who has been defiant first of all to the needs of our original poster. And furthermore to the basic needs and calls implied in his job description, when it comes to pedagogy and communication. The person painting himself up in a corner is clearly not the tuba student.

We might not be talking of blind obedience in this case. The only matter relating to the blindness term is the (mis-)behaviour of the band director in question.

When it comes to a matter as obvious as this, a student, who according to at least one poster is even a section leader, should not be referred to involve parents, private teacher, or any other entity to get an obviously valid request honoured.

Please flame along! I don’t care, as long as no counterproof has been presented!

Have I had failures as a teacher? Be sure! You wouldn’t want me to list them.

Have I had a crucial influence on the life of any of my students? In a positive direction? I like to think so. And quite a few of my collaborators and friends happen to be old students.

Klaus

Follow Ups: