Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on August 15, 2001 at 17:29:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Teacher wont let me use my new CC horn!! posted by Joe Baker on August 15, 2001 at 16:24:29:

Hi Joe!

Let us mutually pat our backs as great producers of oneliners.

"who thinks everyone who comes into contact with a child should put the child's needs first" is baptized in the right waters.

Which is why I, at least temporarily, will forgive you, that you forgot, that I really had added a Coda to my oneliner. Just to keep the balance on the side of honesty and decency.

The very kernel of this debate is not new. Some 20+ years ago I read some British brass magazines. Roy Newsome, back then resident bandmaster of Black Dyke Mills and teacher at some upscale music college, was not too optimistic about the future of brass bands. Not because of lack of talent in players (in which time has proved him right, as the general technical level of young people playing any conceivable type of musical instruments has skyrocketed by dimensions since my youth). The concern of Roy Newsome was the potential in quality and numbers of conductors, bandmasters, and instructors.

The Brits have been fortunate in having top rate symph musicians like Geoffrey Brand (I hope you are still among us Geoff!), Elgar Howarth, Howard Snell, plus the younger guy, whos name escapes me right now, which all have brought widening of horizon, highthening of standards, and, most importantly, levels of unbelievable inspiration into the brass band world. How comes that all these guys have been famous 1st trumpeters like Philip Jones.

Geoff Brand has been a cornerstone person for me. Hearing him tell of his experiences with Furtwängler in the postwar Saddlers Wells opera pit told one something of the importance of mind and spirit. As has his own conducting been. Modestly joining a camp band as 2nd bone after years with no sliding just to be asked to take the 1st chair was another experience of mine along the same line. Actually I, in vain, protested the move. Afterwards uttering: Guess you like my sound and phrasing enough to forget my positions. Got the point, was the reply from Geoff.

By the same course of matter our young 186’er should have been told: Let’s hear you on your new axe! We will see what we mutually can come up with during the next month or two!

That would have being putting the young person up first.

Klaus

Follow Ups: