Re: Yamaha vs. Besson Euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Landry on August 15, 2001 at 14:47:04:

In Reply to: Yamaha vs. Besson Euphoniums posted by Tom Dobb on August 14, 2001 at 13:30:04:

Tom:

To a certain, this will echo most people's sentiments, but FWIW:

1. If you plan to major in a music program at an established college or university, it's almost expected that your euphonium will be a large bore instrument with a compensating 4th valve on the side.

2. Which Yamaha euphonium? If you're playing a YEP-321, I can understand your dilemma. This instrument has an in-line or non-compensating fourth valve. Although Yamaha describes this instrument as a euphonium, I tend to think it is best described as a "hybrid" instrument; that is, it has the body and appearance of a euphonium, but it barely makes the cut in bore size and feels closer to baritone because the leadpipe is so small.

If you're playing a Yamaha YEP-641 or 642, you're already in good shape. These instruments are large-bore with a compensating fourth, things college teachers look for in student-owned instruments.

3. How does it compare to the Besson? I pose this question because the answer is a matter of preference/taste. I personally find the Bessons to sound a bit brighter than the Yamahas. Also, I tend to prefer the open response and short action of the Yamaha 4th valve. I wouldn't argue with Dad; to each his own. Make up your own mind. Check out some recordings of British and American players as well as recordings featuring Yamaha and Besson horns. Generally speaking, Bessons will be featured more on British recordings, with most American recordings using Yamaha, Willson, Hirsbrunner, or Sterling; I'm sure we can all find exceptions.

Hope this helps,

Scott Landry

Follow Ups: