Re: EEb vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by brad on August 15, 2001 at 14:06:46:

In Reply to: EEb vs. BBb posted by Steven on August 15, 2001 at 13:30:29:

I only play BBb, but have played for many years in HS, college, then various community bands. I have observed that mostly I have played with persons who use BBb horns, probably because that is what is taught in High School. Occasionally, I have played in a community group that has happened to own a Eb horn (donated to the band), and a trumbet player might be occasionally doubling if there is a need (question: are the fingerings the same on a Eb as on a trumpet?). Lately, I have been playing with members who own C horns, which has apparently become the serious college student/professional standard.

After reading all of the posts on this bulletin board, I have become intrigued with the Eb horns. They seem to be used more in small group work, instead of the large bands. I just purchased a new tuba, which is a BBb, but was amenable to learning new fingerings on a C or Eb tuba, if the right horn (read: price/quality) came along.

For most of playing as a hobby, I'm not sure that it matters, as long as we are having fun. I'm sure that BBb is still the most comman instrument, but play whatever you're interested in or is available to you.

Brad

Follow Ups: