Re: Conn 56K vs King 2341

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard Murrow on August 14, 2001 at 10:54:00:

In Reply to: Conn 56K vs King 2341 posted by Gus Pratt on August 14, 2001 at 04:43:23:

The valves clusters are similar between the 56J & 2341. They are both .689 through the first three valves. The fourth valve is still .689 on the 2341, however the fourth valve on the 56J is .730 and the fifth is .750. The tapered valve section, I'm sure took longer to design and build in the initial stages, certainly a factor that adds to the overall costs. Remember the 56/52Js were a total departure from anything that UMI had previously. That adds up to more costly research & development. The new 2341 was a matter of combining the more desirable points of the 56 with the best qualities of the old 2341, not an easy or simple task, but certainly one which required less time to develop than the 56J. The cost of materials in an instrument are not the primary factor. Design, labor, research, marketing, etc all add up to a much larger portion of the expenses than the price of the materials alone. If you don't believe me take your horn to a scrap metal dealer sometime, have them weigh it and see what they offer you for the brass, based just on the weight! We all want better instruments to play and they don't just happen, so we have to factor in all of the other, "unseen costs". I hope this helps.

Follow Ups: