Re: WHAT SOUSAPHONE IS BEST

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on August 13, 2001 at 19:32:53:

In Reply to: WHAT SOUSAPHONE IS BEST posted by Dennis Hale on August 13, 2001 at 11:16:14:

I like the original Conn (Indiana-made) model 14K's the best - better than the 20K's for reasons that most are tired of reading over and over...and since they were originally cheaper than 20K's and continue to be less popular than the 20K's, they don't usually cost as much as 20K's.

Most folks, however, are "sold" on the 20K model Conn. I have some 20K's and some (similar to 20K) 38K's waiting to be repaired or completely restored, and I have one 14K in the same condition (valves are already rebuilt on the one 14K that I have...most of the 20K's that I have don't need a valve rebuild job done to them.)

20K sousaphones have a rounder sound, but to me less clear than the (still quite round-sounding) 14K. In addition, the 20K model has a serious intonation flaw on third partial (bottom of the staff) F and E. However, the lack of focus ("extra" round sound) makes that 20K pitch problem not noticable to many.

Follow Ups: