Re: Airline Travel Poll

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on August 13, 2001 at 15:23:42:

In Reply to: Airline Travel Poll posted by Different Approach on August 13, 2001 at 07:54:06:

1) British Airways flying out of Heathrow.
2) No.
3) Not really at the gate, but the next best thing.
The ticket agent saw my sousaphone case and sent me to the check-in line that the TV crews use (I think it was called "counter M"). When I told the agent there what I had, he called for a baggage handler who asked about the proper way to carry and handle the horn. Then he (the baggage handler) asked me to accompany him while he carried the horn to the conveyor belt "to be sure I handle it properly". This was not the conveyor used by the Great Unwashed, but apparently one they use for oversize and fragile cargo. So I watched him while he put the horn on the belt among all the CNN equipment, and off it went.
All done with elaborate courtesy ("Very good, sir. Would you please demonstrate the proper way to carry the instrument?" . . . "Can the instrument be laid on this side?")
4) No damage.
5) 10.

BTW, on that same trip I also managed to check that sousaphone case at Heathrow's Left Luggage office for a week. They didn't want to take it at first because they were worried it would get in the way. I showed them how they could move it around without damaging it and they were OK. I don't know if I would try that one with a Hirsbrunner, though.

Follow Ups: