Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 13, 2001 at 12:57:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Rick Denney on August 13, 2001 at 09:56:01:

Actually, I do agree with you Rick. As usual, you just stated better what I was trying to say. I only teach ethics to students (by example) as a way to expedite the learning process. I never impose my, or any other, values or morals upon any student. I just try to show them, by example, how to behave honorably in our profession. I find this helps in teaching the skills because the student with an understanding of those ethics in place also understands the kinds of priority structures to help them objectively evaluate their own playing and make efficient improvements. If the student got none of this at home from the parents, nothing I say or do will make much of a difference. Besides, what parent wouldn't be offended at my meddling in their child's upbringing? In any event, integrity does matter in this highly politicized business of music and nobody who loses their personal integrity will go far, no matter how well they play.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: