Re: Professional BBb Tuba Census-suggestions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on August 11, 2001 at 06:40:51:

In Reply to: Professional BBb Tuba Census-suggestions posted by still looking on August 10, 2001 at 20:18:28:

I just played a Miraphone 191 and new King 2341 side by side yesterday. The main difference in playing feel is that one is a piston horn and the other is rotary. The feel is just different, but which you would prefer would be a personal decision. The Miraphone was only a 4 valve, so it may not play exactly like the 5, but it was easy blowing with a full, complex sound. I picked up a 186 to compare to the 191 and didn't hear or feel that much difference, but the 191 was a little easier blowing and had a little fuller sound.

The King is also very free blowing. I liked the sound of the King as much as the Miraphone, but I would say that it is a little less "complex," more like the 186. The high range, D above the staff and higher, on the Miraphone was easier for me to play with a good sound than on the King. It would be a tough choice to choose between them, but I would probably say the the Miraphone came out ahead, if money doesn't matter. The 5th valve does make the 191 more versatile (and more expensive), but I can't say what it does to the way it plays. It really depends on where you intend to play it. Only you can decide if the extra $$ are worth it.

I didn't try the Getzen while I was there, so I can't comment on how it compares.

Follow Ups: