Re: Professional BBb Tuba Census-suggestions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on August 10, 2001 at 21:36:13:

In Reply to: Professional BBb Tuba Census-suggestions posted by still looking on August 10, 2001 at 20:18:28:

If you want a great BBb get the Miraphone 191 Gold Brass 5 valve. I've tried several of them and they were all great. I have never played a bad Miraphone BBb, some are just better than others. You should also look at the Meinl Weston 25...I hear the 18 is good too, but I have never played one. The Willson BBb is great too, but costs quite a bit more than most other BBb tubas.

About the Getzen:

I don't know how happy you would be with the Getzen. It was really designed as a CC horn, but can be used as a BBb. The horn is an an outstanding CC (I just purchased one) but I think using it as a BBb only would be a mistake. This horn is worth learning the CC fingerings for!

The BBb conversion of the G50 works like this: The 5th valve has three different options. You can put the slide crook in without any extention tubes for a 1/2 step 5th valve. Or you can add the 1st set of extention tubes to the 5th valve for a whole step 5th valve (this would be the "BBb Slide"), or you can use the second set of extention tubes (really long) to make it a 2 step 5th valve. I use the horn in CC with a whole step 5th valve. The other part of the switch comes with the 5th valve rotor itself. The rotor can be taken apart and turned 90 degress so that the extra whole step in the 5th valve is always being used. It would be the same as holding down the 5th valve with the horn still in CC. Pushing the 5th valve while the rotor is turned to produce the BBb horn will result in the horn becoming a 4 valve CC tuba.

I would strongly disagree that the instruments the original post made reference to are good consumer grade tubas but not of professional grade. You can't get a whole lot more professional than these instruments.

BTW, is the new King 2341 out yet?

Follow Ups: