Re: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Grant on August 10, 2001 at 21:29:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: question from a non-tubist posted by Anon on August 09, 2001 at 21:11:53:

It has always been a mystery to me that we in the US do not use helicons for marching vs. the sousaphone. I marched in high school with a bell-front upright tuba and a strap and it was he#(AT) on the back and neck. When we acquired a 4th sousaphone I was very happy. However, a sousaphone does not come close in comparison in sound and intonation to a tuba. Considering that the helicon was around long before the sousaphone, it would seem a natural thing to use. Somehow, we went away from that and to the sousaphone. When played side-by-side, there is really no contest.

As to the original question, I agree with Sean that the sousaphone is detrimental to the chops of a tuba player. Especially if the ensemble does not use a 6-to-5 or 8-to-5 glide step, thus eliminating as much jostling and bouncing on the embouchure. However, most of us have gone that route and lived to tell about it. The student in question should keep playing, start taking private lessons and work towards that career he seeks. If he is that concerned, maybe he can be switched to percussion. That way, he can save his chop and be cool!

My 2 cents

Michael Grant

Follow Ups: