Re: Tuba at Dillons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ordinary Customer -- Quite Satisfied on August 10, 2001 at 08:07:47:

In Reply to: Tuba at Dillons posted by Alex C on August 08, 2001 at 21:05:13:

I've only been dealing with Matt W. at Dillon's for five years now, and I'm just an ordinary customer -- a middle-aged amatuer tuba player with a little (but not a lot) of money to spend on my hobby.

Matt has sold me a couple of horns and worked on another one. And I have a helicon restoration project for him when his time opens up a little, but I know there are a whole lot more important things on his agend right now. He's taken a lot of his time with me, been encouraging and happy to talk about tubas, and to help with things like mouthpieces that don't add up to any real money. He's a real master craftsman who loves his work, the tuba and his customers. Matt's advice to me has always been solid and helpful. When he's too busy to do something, he's told me. So, based on my experiences with Matt, I'd happily recommend him and Dillon's to anyone.

I'm also in a service business: I practice law. From my own experience, I know that some clients/customers are easier to deal with than others. Some treat you with the respect due to one's knowledge and experience, and some treat you like scum. No prizes for guessing which kind of customer is more enjoyable to serve. Some are very good about telling you what they really need, or asking the right questions, and being honest about their needs and deadlines. Others, even when you try to help them be clear, are vague, and, are unavailable and make you guess at things or timing, and then become angry if things aren't ready a week after they've said "whenever you can get to it."

It all boils down to mutal respect. I find that Matt and Steve Dillon have always respected me as a client/customer and colleague. I respect their knowledge and expertise. It really works for me.

PS, I'd happily sign my name, but I don't want anyone to think I'm currying any favor.

Follow Ups: