Re: Willson 5v Eb tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman (ask Jay Bertolet) on August 09, 2001 at 23:12:45:

In Reply to: Willson 5v Eb tuba posted by John Szkutko on August 09, 2001 at 22:50:26:

Jay Bertolet plays one. I don't "play" one, but I have used one on a couple of occasions, courtesy of Bill Rowe, of our local symphony.

It is a large, heavyweight Eb tuba with a big, full, dark sound. If I all my playing were with quintet and larger groups (i.e. no euph part in quartet), I believe the Willson Eb would do almost everything I would need for quintet, pit orchestra, brass choir, etc. It's a wonderful, big Eb tuba.

You'll have your work cut out for you to lighten this horn up enought to make it blend with a 2-4 piece group (ala quartet). But that's not what this horn is designed for, IMO. The spring tension on a new model is stiff and takes a lot of effort from the right hand (for me). A pro player who prefers stiff springs wouldn't be bothered, I suspect. An individual who monitors the TubaEuph list bought one a year or so ago, and I think he was a little annoyed at the way some of the valve tubing collected moisture. I don't know if anyone has added extra water keys to a Willson Eb or not.

If you want a potent Eb tuba with a CC voice, get the Willson. If you want a lyrical, melodic voice with your bass tuba, I'm not sure this is the one for you. I think that's why Jay Bertolet also has a customized, 5V Cerveny 641 Eb in his "toolbox".

Jay?

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: