Re: Re: Re: Re: purchasing a CC...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on August 08, 2001 at 22:09:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: purchasing a CC... posted by Rick Denney on August 08, 2001 at 15:45:47:

Actually, this is the same advice Warren Deck gave me when I spoke to him about the Nirschl. He encouraged me to take the time to really get to know the instrument. He meant that both from a feel/approach standpoint as well as from an intonation standpoint. It is good advice! Like I said in my earlier post, playing the Nirschl has completely changed how I approach loud playing. That's a pretty major thing, if you knew anything about my playing style. I used to scoff at the idea of having a bunch of tubas or an "old man's" horn (a nickname given to really efficient 6/4 horns). That's because my loud playing was sheer brute force. It worked but the physical exertion was enormous. It really handcuffed me in my options to do much else. Now, after my exposure to the Nirschl, I'm experimenting with a more relaxed approach on my Rudy. So far, the results are very encouraging. I think this is a direct consequence of not having to make that Rudy do everything. Ironically, I find that I still play plenty loud even though I'm really relaxing much more.

I agree with you, in that I never felt this way about a 2165. I have a theory about that as well. Since Warren helped design that tuba, let's take a look at him. Let's see, 7+ liter capacity, an absolutely incredible loud player (and I mean that in the best possible way), playing in what was one of the loudest playing orchestras anywhere. We've all heard the magical things he used to do on the cut up Conn, especially those excerpts from the Ring conducted by Mehta. Then he designs a 6/4 tuba that sounds like a 6/4 but fits his playing style. If I pick up that horn, it is never going to play as easily for me as it does for him, assuming he's managed to capture the essense of his playing style in the design. I simply don't have his lung capacity, nor his experiences playing at those consistently incredible volumes and moving those amounts of air. I think the 2165 works best for me if I play it in a more agressive style, much like my Rudy. This is why I don't like the 2165 as much, in that I already have a horn (my Rudy) that produces a great sound with that amount of work on my part. I think it is telling that Warren sold his 2165's and bought two Nirschl's for himself.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: