Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by wcc3 on August 08, 2001 at 06:46:09:

In Reply to: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old posted by wcc3 on August 06, 2001 at 18:52:15:

Thanks for all the advice, everybody! You broadened my perspective considerably.

I decided to call Joe S and talk to him. The executive summary is that we've got a Weril on the way.

Joe also found an interesting accessory for the hard case -- a set of good-sized wheels and a handle. My daughter has been accustomed to walking her tuba 1/4 mile to/from school by bungeeing it to a hand truck. This builds the hand truck into the case, so she should be actually dealing with a lighter load than she's become accustomed to.

It does appear that tubists collect instruments. Big horns, small horns, CC horns, etc. I'd be surprised if this is her last tuba, but in a few years she'll have a whole lot better knowledge of what she wants/needs. Her needs will become better defined and she'll have the experience to recognize them. Then the negotiations will get, uh, interesting.

Also, using the available weight on a larger instrument in a lightweight bag will become practical. Putting an almost-unprotected horn into the tight confines of a school bus amidst a bunch of rambunctious middle-schoolers seems hazardous to the horn's health. Also, my daughter won't be able to avoid banging it into seats, grab bars, etc. until she's bigger and stronger.

I'll post again in a few months when I know how this decision is working out.

Thanks, everybody!
Will

Follow Ups: