Re: Re: Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on August 07, 2001 at 13:01:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Comments from an old tuba player posted by I feel for you. on August 07, 2001 at 00:11:41:

Yes, I know this is true, and some of them sit in the section in question, at least occasionally. I enjoy their company immensely.

Story time:

When I moved from Austin to San Antonio many years ago, I left the Austin Symphonic Band (which takes all comers) and determined to join the San Antonio Municipal Band (for which new players are subjected to section-leader approval). I showed up at a rehearsal, leaving the tuba in the car, 30 minutes early. Two tuba players were sitting in the section, playing duets. One was clearly a solid pro, and the other a good amateur. I sat and listened for a while as they worked through what seemed to me at the time the impossibly difficult Sear Advanced Duets. When they stopped for a break, I introduced myself to them, and honestly described my own abilities and intentions. The better player, who turned out to be the section leader, asked me if I'd brought my tuba, and then asked me to join the section for the rehearsal. I sat fourth in a section of five.

During the rehearsal, I was surprised to discover that the section leader was standing behind me. At the end of the rehearsal, I told him that it had freaked me out a bit, because I don't think I'm a great player, and sometimes I lay out to avoid damaging the sound of the section. He invited me to join the group. Later he told me that part of the reason he invited me was that he wanted to help me improve up to the standards of the group, and while I was improving, he could trust me not to ruin what the section was trying to do. He was 1.) interested in the section's performance, and 2.) interested in me.

That was the only tuba section I've ever played in where the leader had a servant attitude and by example spread that attitude down the section. It was the most kick-butt tuba section I've ever heard in an amateur group, let alone played in. The times that I laid out for the good of the group diminished to the point where now I don't have to, and by the time I left the group some years later because of yet another move, we were playing Sear Advanced Duets before every rehearsal.

Rick "who thinks a healthy bit of humility goes a long way for an ensemble player--even the section leader" Denney

Follow Ups: