Re: Re: Comments from an old tuba player

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on August 07, 2001 at 11:38:51:

In Reply to: Re: Comments from an old tuba player posted by A college student... on August 06, 2001 at 18:04:53:

I think that having an attitude like this clearly points out ignorance in your playing. Granted, I have no clue who you are, and how you play, but blatent disregard for other opinions, may be your demise. We, as musicians cannot fall into a stage where we do nothing but play loud. Those people are "tuba jocks". There is no room in the musical world for people who are more interested in playing loud, than making music. As for the arnold jacobs thing...I'm sure he did not "blow out" the microphone. Jacobs had a sound that was not forced, or penetrating, but rather huge and round. these is no way that he would have blown out a mic by sheer volume, because truthfully, he did not play that loud. What you hear as volume is probably breadth to his sound. It may be neccesary for you to reevaluate why you play the tuba. Do you like to play loud, or do you like to make music? Also.. Take heed to what other say to you. You can learn a lot from another set of ears.

Follow Ups: