Re: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by lisa on August 07, 2001 at 10:13:14:

In Reply to: Tuba for an 11-Year-Old posted by wcc3 on August 06, 2001 at 18:52:15:

take three...
Will,

I agree with your ideas on a horn that will get a "better sound." Since it is a lot of money, a better quality horn will serve your daughter longer, until she does make a decision whether or not to pursue music as a career. The four valve idea is excellent. If your daughter does decide to pursue the tuba in the future, it will also be helpful to have a horn with a higher "trade" value, since it will most likely mean the purchase of at least one more non BB-flat tuba. Another reason to trust your instincts on better quality.

I would guess her school bus dilemma could be seriously alleviated by the purchase of a backpack gig bag with her horn. I have had good luck with the Altieri, and Tuxedo and others make good, well padded bags that are less awkward to carry. The backpack straps are important... they do make a difference, IMHO.

Finally, to expand upon Tracy's excellent comments, size is certainly a big issue. I started on an old Conn 3J in 7th grade (don't remember which horn!), but despite the small size, it was a very awkward fit. Many tubaphysics play a role in determining size and weight, for example close wrap horns may appear smaller, but are much heavier to hold. I still have problems with some horns being awkward, I think they are made for taller people! Especially at such a young age, I think this is very important. But the bottom line is a horn she is comfortable with will make for quicker progress.

Hope something here was helpful and not redundant!
Best of luck!

Follow Ups: